Rules, Regulations, Policies, and Statutes Governing Mineral Leasing

Board of Land Commissioners' Rules and Regulations,Chapters 19-24

WS 36-6-101

Leasing Procedures

Mineral leases are acquired by lessees through the Mineral Lease Application process. Unleased parcels are available to be leased by the first qualified applicant. Applications are submitted to OSLI, along with the application fee, and are approved by the Board of Land Commissioners.

Board of Land Commissioners' Rules and Regulations, Chapters 19-24, Section 5

Mineral Lease Appliction Form

Mineral Lease Application Instructions

Sample Lease Form

Mineral Leasing Reference Sheet

Lease Stipulations Guide

Rental Information

Rentals are due prior to the anniversary date of the lease. If rentals are not received on time, the lessee must pay rent and a late fee within 30 days or risk losing the lease. The rental schedule for all mineral leases, except Uranium leases, is as follows: $1 per acre for the first five years of the lease, $2 per acre for the second five years of the lease. If the lease is renewed after the initial 10 year lease, the rental stays at $2 per acre. The third 10 year renewal rental is $3 per acre, and the fourth renewal at $4 per acre. Uanium leases rentals are $1 for the first 5 years, $3 dollars for the second 5 years and for every renewal of the lease thereafter. For more information regarding Mineral Lease rentals, please refer to Board of Land Commissioners' Rules and Regulations, Chapter 19-24.

Lease Interest Assignment Information

Assignment of any interest within a lease must be approved by the Director of OSLI. The parties transferring interest in a lease are required to use the Mineral Lease Assignment Form, links to the instructions and form are listed below. For further information on transferring interest in a Mineral Lease, please refer to Board of Land Commissioners' Rules and Regulations,Chapters 19-24.

Mineral Lease Assignment Form

Mineral Lease Assignment Instructions


Mineral Leases are required to have lease bonding in place when operations (including exploration) commence on the leased area. Bonds may be either individual (in the form of corporate surety bond, cash bond, certified cashiers check, certificate of deposit, or non-revocable letter of credit) or a “Blanket Bond” covering all of the lessees coal leases with OSLI. For more information regarding Minera Lease bonding, refer to Board of Land Commissioners' Rules and Regulations, Chapters 19-22 or the Office of State Lands Bonding Guide.

Royalty Reporting

The Royalty Compliance Section assures timely and accurate payment of royalties in return for the removal of minerals from Trust Lands. In addition, this section serves over 400 oil, gas, coal, sand & gravel, and hard mineral companies by providing them with information for State reporting guidelines. The Section processes royalty and production reports to ensure the trust receives full and fair value for the mienrals that are extracted from State Trust Land.

More Royalty Compliance Section Information.


The primary lease term for Mineral Leases is ten years and are renewalable. Renewal applications and application fees must be received before the expiration of the lease. Renewals are approved by the Board of Land Commisioners. Use the Mineral Lease Renewal form below when submitting renewal applications.

Mineral Lease Renewal Application Form

Mineral Lease Renewal Application Instructions

Additional Required Permitting

Surface Impact Payment

Although the Wyoming State Mineral Leases grant access to the leased property, and allow use of the State Trust surface as needed for operations, all mineral lessees are required to contact the surface lessee and negotiate Surface Impact Payments (SIP) as necessary. SIPs are intended to mitigate surface disturbance caused by mineral development. The surface impact payment process (contact and negotiation with surface lessee) is required before exploration and development activities can occur.

Board of Land Commissioners' Rules and Regulations, Chapter 4, Section 14.

Surface Impact Payment Form

Surface Impact Payment Page

Special Use Leasing and Temporary Use Permit

Use of State Land outside the rights granted by the Mineral Lease require additional permitting. Long term additional permitting, such as disposal wells, on-lease facilities handling off-lease minerals, or communication towers require a Special Use Lease (SUL). Short term permits such as roads or reserve pits, access roads, or construction activities, a Temporary Use Permit (TUP) is issued. Although the Mineral Lease allows for roadways related to the production of the leased parcel, access routes across parcels that are not within the lease area are subject to TUP permitting. For more information on SUL's and TUP's please refer to the links below.

Special Use Leases: Board of Land Commissioners' Rules and Reguations, Chapter 5

Special Use Lease Application

Sample Special Use Lease Form

Special Use Lease Page

Temporary Use Permits: Board of Land Commissioners' Rules and Regulations, Chapter 14

Temporary Use Permit Application

CBM Reservoir Application

TUP-Impact Payment Schedule


Easements are used by OSLI to permit permanent infrastructure such as pipelines, powerlines, and permanent roadways. For more information regarding easements, please refer to the links below.

Easements: Board of Land Commissioners' Rules and Regulations, Chapter 3

Easements Page (With Easement Documents)

Additional Agency Permitting

In addition to required permitting with OSLI, other State and Federal agencies may require further permitting associated with mineral lease development. Please review requirements with all applicable State and Federal Agencies. Below are links to agencies which may have additional permitting requirements associated with mineral development on State Trust Lands.

Wyoming Department of Environmental Quality

Wyoming State Engineer's Office

United States Environmental Protection Agency

United State Bureau of Reclamation

US Army Corps of Engineers

Lease Conclusion


A lessee may relinquish a lease using the form below. If the lease being relinquished has not been developed, the lease is relinquished effective the day it is received by OSLI. If the lease being relinquished has been developed, the relinquishment will not be effective until the lands leased are reclaimed to an acceptable condition.

Surrender and Relinquishment Form


Mineral Leases may be terminated if a default of the lease terms occurs. The lessee will receive a thirty day (30) notice of the lease termination. If no response or remedy is received within that thirty days, the lease will terminate on the date the default occured.


Lease expiration occurs at the end of the primary term, extension of primary term, or renewed lease term on leases which have not been developed nor are diligently pursuing production. Lease expiration is an automatic function of lease terms and no notice is provided to lessees of expiring leases.

Surface Integrity and Minimum Reclamation

Mineral leases are required to maintained to be maintained in an ecologically prudent manner. When a lease is finally disposed of, reclamation of the disturbed areas must take place. Reclamation of the site is required to have vegetative composition and production similar to the surrounding rangeland and for the site to be physically stable. Surface compliance and reclamation inspections are performed by the Field Services Division (FSD) of OSLI.

Mineral lessees are encouraged to contact OSLI when surface compliance issues may arise so that the situation can be handled in a timely manner. Reclamation planning with OSLI staff is suggested so that reclamation plans can be tailored to meet the expectations of OSLI, expediting the reclamation process. FSD contact information can be found on the Contact page.

Contact Us

Contact Us